I’m almost embarrassed about this recipe because it’s so easy. Almost all of the ingredients come from a can, but the flavor of this Brunswick Stew reminds of the sawdust floored barbeque joints I went to as a child. I was always fascinated with the sawdust floor.
- 1 lg. onion, chopped
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
- 2 14.75 oz. cans cream-style corn
- 1 15 oz. can English Peas, drained
- 1 24 oz. package of Cades Cove Pork BBQ (I use the pork BBQ with the tangy sweet red sauce)
- 1 10 oz. can white chicken meat
- 6 T. apple cider vinegar
- 6 T. sugar
- 2 tsp. hot sauce
- 2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
Sauté chopped onion in olive oil until soft. Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium high heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and cover, simmer for 30 minutes. Serves 6-8.
Note: If you can’t find Cades Cove BBQ, just use a pound and a half of your favorite pork BBQ. You might need to add some sauce. I would think a cup of sauce would work. See what you think.