Black Bean Soup with Crab
I like the idea of topping this soup with crab meat. It’s a lighter option than garnishing with cheese and sour cream. Plus it’s crab, you can’t ask for more.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 ribs celery with greens, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander
- Salt and pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons hot sauce
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with peppers and onions
- 1 (8 ounce) container lump crab meat, picked for shells and cartilage
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
In a medium soup pot over medium high heat sauté onion, celery, garlic, jalapeno, red pepper, and bay leaf in the olive oil. Cook until tender. Add 2 cans of beans to the pot. Use a fork to mash up the beans in the remaining can. Stir the mashed beans into the pot and season with cumin, coriander, salt and pepper, and hot sauce. Add stock and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes over low heat. Remove and discard bay leaf. Ladle into bowls and garnish with crab and cilantro.
Note: This recipe can also be prepared in a slow cooker. Combine all ingredients except crab and cilantro. Mix well. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours. Other garnish ideas include sour cream, grated Monterey Jack cheese, and salsa.