Open Faced Shrimp Salad Sandwich
The inspiration for this sandwich came from a similar sandwich I had in two different restaurants. The first time I made it at home I remember we had dinner outside on a beautiful spring evening, and everyone loved it. I always associate this sandwich with dining alfresco. Of course you can enjoy this recipe inside too any time of year.
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp, shelled and roughly chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Cavender’s All-Purpose Greek Seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. lemon zest
- ½ lb. Gruyere Cheese, sliced
- 4-6 slices of bread, each slice about ¾” thick (sourdough is a good bread choice for this sandwich)
Combine shrimp, celery, onion, mayonnaise, Greek seasoning, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a bowl. Spoon shrimp salad on bread slices and top with slices of Gruyere cheese. Place sandwiches on a baking sheet. Cook in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Serve while warm. This recipe makes 4-6 sandwiches.