Grits with Spinach & Shrimp
There are so many ways to do shrimp and grits. I think this combination is uniquely good. I’ve even left out the shrimp and served the grits with the spinach and parmesan cheese as a side dish.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups cream or fat free half and half
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 ½ cup quick grits, uncooked
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 pounds uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ½ pound baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
On high heat, bring water, cream or half and half to a simmer. Whisk in grits and salt and reduce heat to medium high or medium. Stirring occasionally, grits will start to thicken in 5-7 minutes. Cook grits until soft and creamy adding water as needed to make loose but not runny grits. Add garlic and cheese and continue to stir occasionally. Stir in shrimp and cook until shrimp turn pink, careful not to overcook shrimp. Fold in spinach. Spinach will cook in hot grits.